October 7, 2010
Again, same punching and measurement times. The stats:
Again, temp and pH are fine, and Brix is still moving right along. I kicked around adding more tartaric, but having added so much already, I decided just to let it be. After all, 3.59 is still less than 3.60 (I knew all that schooling would finally pay off for me)! I added another round of Fermaid K (as the Brix had gone down by a third again) and gave it a little taste. It was pretty much the same as on 10/6, but I noticed a pronounced alcohol taste that hadn't been there before. Good thing too, as that's what I wanted the sugar converted into!
By this time I've realized that I am going to be pressing over the weekend. I'm a little apprehensive, but also very excited to use my new wine press. On the downside, this stuff is going to be done tomorrow (Friday), and I really can't press until Saturday. Add to that I haven't yet picked out (or up!) a malolactic bacteria for the secondary fermentation. I really have to get my tush in gear here!