Friday, March 2, 2012

3 weeks old!

I can't believe how the time has flown!  One of my friends told me that the days would be long, but the weeks short, and she was absolutely right!  Some days seem to drag on for an eternity, but then I turn around, and it's already the end of the week, and she's survived for another one.

On her changing pad (cover by Nancy)

Honestly, this is what I usually see from her when I'm not holding her!

The first week was actually a bit of a blur--I was still in a fair amount of pain from the episiotomy, and it was basically hell trying to get enough rest to heal up from that and take care of a newborn who didn't (and still doesn't) understand that mommy has needs too.  Grandma and Grandpa Romo were in town for that first week, and brought us lunch everyday.  They then stayed through the afternoon, helping with chores and giving me a break from baby for a nap, and made us dinner at night.  Brian was also off work that week, and he was invaluable with fetching me things and making sure I was as comfortable as I could be.  We also had tons of visitors that week (Robbie and Judy, The Berrys, Christina and Floyd, Kelley--love you all!) who brought us yummy food and some much-needed outside world contact.  I can't thank everyone enough for reminding me that there is a world out there still!
Grandpa getting her nose
Grandma and Grandpa Romo
Robbie wasn't scared to hold her!

She is rocking the hat that Judy got her.
We have given her a couple of baths, which since we're new takes 2 of us, so here are some "after" pictures, but no "during".  Rest assured that she cries like a normal baby while she's being bathed!

All happy again wrapped up in her towel

She looks like a Jedi
Brian also set up the living room for us to do a photo shoot with her. 

Sleeping baby

Our best family shot

Mommy and Gabby
The second week, Aunt Jennifer came up from LA to stay with us for a few days to help me get over the transition of Brian going back to work.  She was completely invaluable with helping me to figure out pumping and feeding schedules, and getting me more comfortable getting out of the house with the baby.  She gave me very nice breaks taking care of Gabby while I took care of myself.  I'm so grateful to her for taking time out of her busy life to help us out!

This week has been my first week on my own.  It's been going fairly well, but Gabby is not at all happy any time I put her in the carseat.  We took a walk yesterday, and you'd think I was dipping her in acid.  It was a bit chilly outside with a pretty brisk wind, so I'm pretty sure she was just cold, but it was not a very fun time for either one of us!  I'm sure the people in my neighborhood thought I was crazy! 

Otherwise, we've been dealing with Brian having a slight cold.  He and I decided that he should stay away from the baby completely, since something  minor for us can be really really bad for a small baby.  I didn't realize how much I relied on his help at night with her--it's been hard taking sole care of her and not getting a break.  I know he feels really badly too, since he really wants to hold her and can't.

Daddy, Gabby and Beau in healthier times

Overall, Gabby has been a really good baby so far.  She only gives me 2-3 hour stretches at night between feedings, but she does go back to sleep really quickly after eating.  She's still sleeping in the Pack N Play in our room, and she stays there all night (except feedings) until around 6 am, when I pull her into bed with me so that I can get some more sleep in the morning!  I was always one of those people who swore that I would never bring a child into bed with me, and look at me now :)  It's amazing how much your philosophy changes when you actually have kids!

During the day, Gabby tends to eat every 2 hours or so, depending on how big her appetite is.  She'll usually take a really long morning nap, which gives me a chance to shower and get some lunch in, and then she'll take another shorter nap in the afternoon.  When she is awake, she's super aware and looking around.  She loves to look at lights and anything with a high contrast (I'm wearing a purple and white striped shirt today, and she's been mesmerized).  She has the biggest blue eyes, and the cutest little face and hair.  She's dealing with some baby acne right now, which is because of my hormones coming out in the breast milk, but that should clear up on its own fairly soon.  Breast feeding is going pretty well so far.  I get some pain when she latches, but it goes away after a few seconds.  She actually lost 14 oz between being born and her first doctor's appointment, which is on the high side, but we took her back in 3 days later, and she was back up 8 oz.  She goes back to the doctor on March 5, so we'll see if everything is still on track.  I feel like she is getting heavier, and the newborn clothes aren't fitting nearly as well as they did when she was born, so I think everything will check out just fine.  We have Grandma and Grandpa Pechenino and Auntie Amy flying in from IL to visit next week, and we're all super excited to see them, and for them to meet Gabby!

On that note, until next time, please enjoy this picture of how I spend my days now:

Take care everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment