Thursday, June 21, 2012

4 months or 19 weeks

Sorry for the lack of update--I've been teaching 2 University of Phoenix classes for the very first time, and I swear it's more than twice the work of teaching just 1!  I've enjoyed being busy, but with all the grading and posting on top of keeping up with an increasingly awake 4 month old, I don't have a ton of time to update the blog!

That being said, Gabby had her 4 month appointment on Monday, and she's officially gained 1.5 lbs since starting formula supplementation!  I knew she'd gained about that much, since I'd continued weighing her on the scale at home, but it was really nice to have official confirmation.  She still only in the 3rd percentile, but it's way better than not even being on the chart!  She was also 24.5 inches long (somewhere between 10th and 25th percentile), and her head was 39.5 cm (under 5th percentile).  She actually eats quite a lot of formula--basically 2 oz in her 2nd and 3rd feedings, 3 oz in her 4th feeding, and back to 2 oz in her last feeding (but only because I give her the other 2 in expressed milk).  The doctor said we can start her on solids pretty much any time we want, kicking it off with rice cereal and the stage 1 baby food.  We're probably going to wait another couple of weeks to let her settle into the formula a bit more, but we do plan on starting when she's around 5 months old.  The doctor says that'll help with her weight gain too.  He wants her in the 25th percentile by her 6 month appointment, and we've got a ways to go to get there!

Gabby handled her shots like a pro.  She cried a tiny little bit, but stopped quickly.  She was very tired and clingy the next day, but by Wednesday, she was back to her old happy self.  I was actually really happy with her being so tired--she slept 13 hours Monday night into Tuesday (I felt like a whole new person!), and then took two 2.5 hour naps on Tuesday!  She also didn't need to eat on Tuesday night (although she needed a paci at 3:00 am and again at 5:30, so I didn't get to sleep through the night like I did on Monday).  However, I was back to being up with her last night for about an hour when she ate and then stayed awake for much longer after getting done.  She has been sleeping for long periods, and not getting up nearly as often since we started formula.  The flip side of that is that she's been quite a bit gassier.  When she was just nursing, I could get away with not burping her at all and it would just work itself out.  Now with the formula, if we don't burp her, she doesn't sleep!  Brian found that out the hard way one night--he started trying to get her down for the night at 8:00, and she wouldn't go to sleep until 9:30 after having one huge poo.  Poor guy, but I was just glad it was one poopy diaper I didn't have to change!

I promise to post pictures as soon as I get them off of the camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment